Kindergarten & 1st Grade
Kindergartners and 1st graders will train in groups at a practice once a week for 1 hour. The practices will be run by a TPSC pro trainer.
Games are on Saturdays and are played in a festival format that includes:
- A TPSC staff member will organize the players on Saturdays into game day teams that will play in a festival style format.
- Parent Coaches will coach each team. Teams will be assigned as either a home team or a traveling team.
- The home team stays on 1 field and hosts a series of 10-minute games from visiting teams
- The "traveling team" rotates around the field playing a series 10-minute games
Why do we play this format?
1. Because we want our young soccer players to touch the soccer ball more often and become more skillful with it! (Individual technical development)
2. Because we want our young soccer players to make more, less-complicated decisions during the game! (Tactical development)
3. Because we want our young soccer players to be more physically efficient in the field space they are playing in! (Reduced field size)
4. Because we want our young soccer players to have more individual teaching time with the coach! Fewer players on the field and fewer players on the team will guarantee this! (Need to feel worthy and need to feel important)
5. Because we want our young soccer players to have more, involved playing time in the game! (More opportunity to solve problems that only the game presents)
6. Because we want our young soccer players to have more opportunity to play on both sides of the ball! (More exposure to attacking and defending situations)
7. Because we want our young soccer players to have more opportunities to score goals! (Pure excitement)
8. Because we want to include children of all temperaments, assertive to shy, to have more opportunities to interact with others and the game! (Socialization)
These are the reasons why we adults must foster "Small-Sided Games" in our youth soccer programs. The "Small-Sided" environment is a developmentally appropriate environment for our young soccer players. It’s a FUN environment that focuses on the young soccer player.