From the United States Futsal Federation...
Futsal is the way the world plays indoor soccer. It is played on all the continents of the world in over 100 countries by more than 12 million players.
Futsal is played on a basketball-size court. Without the walls, futsal is a GREAT SKILL-DEVELOPER, demanding quick reflexes, fast thinking, and pin-point passing. It is an exciting game for children as well as adults.
Great soccer superstars such as Pele, Zico and Socrates grew up playing the game and credit Futsal with developing their skills. Futsal is played with a special low bounce ball, requiring players to use their skills, rather than the ball’s bounce, to propel it.
The priority in Futsal is to motivate players in an environment that is conducive to learning. The more pleasure kids derive from their participation, the more they wish to play and practice on their own. While their instinct to play is natural, their affection and appreciation for soccer must be cultivated. Futsal is the foundation to such goals because it:
- o Allows players to frequently touch the one "toy" on the field, namely, the ball.
- o Presents many opportunities to score goals and score goals often.
- o Encourages regaining possession of the ball as a productive, fun and rewarding part of the game (defending).
- o Maximizes active participation and minimizes inactivity and boredom.
- o Provides a well-organized playing environment with improvised fields.
- o Reflects the philosophy of PLAYER DEVELOPMENT expressed in state and national coaching schools.
- o Eliminates complicated rules such as off-sides that may hinder youngsters from "playing".
- o Reflects the appropriate roll of the coach as a Facilitator.
- o Makes the game more "beginning coach" friendly because the game is simpler, thus making it easier to recruit more volunteer "coaches".
- o Allows the game to be the teacher!
- Futsal is very fast-paced and forces the children into decision-making situations. It is very good at developing a youth player’s individual technical skill and will greatly improve a player’s outdoor ability.
Most of all, futsal is FUN! This program will keep your children active during the winter months.